History of the School of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology of Bordeaux

Professor Emile J Moure (1855-1941) created the School of Otorhinolaryngology of Bordeaux as well as the Revue de Laryngology, Otology, Rhinology in 1880. This international Journal is still published today.

In 1913, he became titular of the first « Chair » of otorhinolaryngology, created in France, 13 years before the one in Paris.

His teaching included, even at this time, advanced courses for French and foreigners. His son-in-law, Professor Georges Portmann (1890-1985), succeeded to him in 1926 and continued the tradition of the advanced courses on all the subjects concerning this speciality. He regularly inaugurated courses in English for American specialists in the United States as well as in Bordeaux.

Georges Portmann's son, professor Michel Portmann, became responsible for the ENT university department in 1967 and titular of the « Chair » of ENT in 1978. International pioneer in the ear's micro surgery, he created a special teaching for this speciality. This teaching was firstly in French since 1956 and then available in English in 1959.

His wife (Claudine Portmann) and him created a center for the diagnosis and treatment of deaf or auditive deficient children.

Under pressure of former students, Georges and Michel Portmann created the "Portmann Foundation" in 1967. This association of School of Bordeaux's students became the Institut Georges Portmann for administrative reasons in 1992.